Hola Amigos!

Follow us on our trip to Central America!

Monday, March 12, 2007

I had some time...

Today we went to the nature reserve in panajachel. It was uphill the whole way there and there was a brief moment where I was pretty sure that I wasnt going to make, but I obviously did as I am sitting here writing you this blog entry. My legs better look fantastic when I get home and after my bites and bruises fade.
Wandering around this town which known for its extensive market you get used to saying no thanks when you are approached a bajillion times by vendors on the street, but when it is a child that is trying to sell you something it much harder for me to say no; and when those same children ask me for money or food my heart breaks a little more every time. I wish I could just buy them all a meal or give them all some money, but I cant and it just kills me to say no to them. I knew that this would be hard, but I never expected to feel this bad about it. I just want to hug them all and tell them it will be ok. I am hoping that I will get a little more immune to them as the days pass otherwise I will not make it. They make me want to cry. :(

Did I tell you guys about the spider I saw in Rio Dulce? It was in my bathroom stall and was easily the size of my palm. Big, brown, and hairy, and as I told Megan this morning it appears that the bigger they are the faster they run, and they will only get bigger from here. I did good though, yall would be proud. I did my business (quickly) and didnt pass out with fear once. My eyes may have welled up momentarily with tears but it was soon over. Also Rio Dulce had BIG rats, they are gross little buggers. Not the cute-ish ones you see at the pet store.

Also, it does indeed get cool at night. I sleep with my thermal shirt on (thanks Blake) and my hoodie, AND a wool blanket. I should have brought my warm pink hoodie, but I didnt think it would be that cold. Even though Matthew who clearly knows more about this than I do told me too. Meh, when do I ever listen?

We have turned somewhat into day people while we are here. We are in bed my 10pm at the latest and usually up at around 730pm when we dont have to set the alarm. No partying for us. Its nice though. There are some places where you really dont want to be wandering around at night, and we like to take full advantage of the day. My tan is coming along nicely.

I think that is all for now...I was bored. :)

ps - I hear Shakira ALL the bloody time. They love her here. Shakira overkill.

Janelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shakira? really? ugh ... omg that song is totally stuck in my head now! THANKS JANELLE lol ...

holy shit huge spiders and rats are terrifying!! i would've FREAKED.

way to go on all this crazy long-distance hiking biz .... i'm so impressed and yay for tans i'm jealous!

i'm partying less and less too ... it's weird - maybe cos my partygirls arent around :(

lots of love!
Rache